One of Rotary's Five Avenues of Service
The Community Service "Avenue
" relates to the activities that Rotarians undertake to improve the quality of life in their community. Particular emphasis is given to helping children, especially in the area of literacy.
Rotarians strive to promote the ideal of service in their personal, business, and community lives.
Some of the Rotary Club of Newport's projects:
- Built Newport Literacy Park, adjacent to the library. Each summer, hundreds of youngsters take part in the Summer Reading Program and the addition of Literacy Park has provided the ideal venue for a variety of entertaining programs to encourage them to read. Read more.
- Built a picnic shelter at the Oregon Coast Aquarium.
- Worked on the playground at Big Creek Park.
- Worked on building Sister City Park on Neff Way.
- Provided training to local school personnel and police regarding Human Trafficking.
- Doing a refurbishment project on Sister City Park.
- Several literacy projects
- Assorted 2017-2018 Projects:
Seafood & Wine Festival Fundraiser, Olalla Center Warren Projects, Celebration Bags, Dictionary Program, Exchange Student Weekend, and more
Summer reading program students in Newport's Literacy Park
Assembling bags for foster children
Human Trafficking: Rotarian Gae Linfoot and the Rotary Club of Newport have taken on a project which provides training to local school personnel and police regarding Human Trafficking. This educational program is another way The Rotary Club of Newport is giving back to our community. Helping with this project are local high school students.
Mombetsu City Park Clean Up: Rotarian Rick Letherer and fellow Rotarians weed and spruce up Mombetsu City park. Mombetsu is Newport's Sister City. Keeping our community pretty.
Back to Five Avenues of Service